Rules for the use of basil as an ingredient in food preparations:
- PROCEDURE FOR THE USE OF THE DECLARATION “with Basilico Genovese D.O.P.”
- LABELING OF PESTO
PROCEDURE FOR THE USE OF THE DECLARATION "with Basilico Genovese DOP"
Food companies, restaurants and delicatessen using "Basilico Genovese D.O.P." as an ingredient in their products can promote it on the label (or in the menu) adding the wording "with Basilico Genovese DOP"
To apply for the authorization from the Consortium, it is necessary to send an application form
containing the details of the product and of the providers of Basilico Genovese D.O.P..
this authorization can be requested by:
Download the facsimile of the application form
See the regulation for the authorization of the wording "with Basilico Genovese D.O.P." and / or the mark of the Consorzio di Tutela
- producing and packaging company
- commercial company
LABELING OF PESTO
The name "pesto" is not protected, so it is not object of specific checks. The labeling of pesto is regulated by the Legislative Decree 109/92
According to the Direzione Generale per la Qualità dei Prodotti Agroalimentari (Q.P.A.) of MIPAAF, the denomination “Ligurian basil” is forbidden, even if the
basil is produced and purchased in Liguria by producers in the area of D.O.P. production, if it isn't included in the certification system of the "Basilico Genovese D.O.P.”
Thus, any use of this denomination and other similar recalling the origin and evoking the protected designation "basilico genovese" is illegitimate and it is sanctioned pursuant the art. 2 paragraph 2 of the Legislative Decree n ° 297/04
MANDATORY INDICATIONS ON THE PESTO LABEL:
- sales description
- list of ingredients
- net quantity
- minimum term of conservation or, in case of really perishable products, the expiration date
- name or company name or registered trademark and place of the manufacturer, packer or seller established in the European Economic Community
- production or packaging site
- wording that allows identification of the production batch
- storage conditions and instructions for using, if necessary according to the nature of the product
- quantity of some ingredients or categories of ingredients as established by art. 8. (percentage of the highlighted ingredient).